Great Bloomers for West Coast Landscapes
Thursday, March 8, 2018
Plants Express brings you an international showcase of beautiful bloomers. These selections flower for a long period, do well in a range of conditions, and provide an incredible variety of fragrance, bloom habit and color without a lot of maintenance. Plant individually, in containers or in borders, or plant en masse to dazzle with drifts and explosions of color. All you have to do is sit back and enjoy the antics of all the butterflies, hummingbirds and other birds you'll attract.
– Let the lush purple flowers of this evergreen shrub transport you to the tropics. Enjoy the large tropical blooms spring, summer, and fall. The rich royal purple flowers and soft velvety leaves of this Brazilian rainforest native are outstanding around a courtyard, patio, or pool. Grows to a robust 6-8' tall and wide.
– The hardiest and easiest begonia to grow, shade-loving 'Richmondensis' grows to 2' tall and wide. Salmon-pink flowers are up to an inch across and bloom almost constantly. Shade makes the large dark green leaves softer and greener, sun makes the foliage redder. The architecture of the stems is upright and zig-zag between the nodes for an airy and open effect.
– Grace, beauty, fragrance and a dazzling display of flowers in spring make California Lilac one of the most popular lilacs in the western landscape. The gracefully arching branches and dense foliage look good all year, but spring is the real show-stopper when reddish buds burst forth with masses of cobalt blue, slightly fragrant flowers. Grows vigorously to 8' tall by 8' wide and thrives in full sun.
– The arching branches and downy gray-green leaves of Mexican Sage give an old-world romantic look to the water-wise garden. Velvety purple flowers bloom from spring to early fall, and almost year-round along the coast. Cut back in winter for best appearance. Grows quickly to 3' tall and wide.
– This cloud-forest native of Chiapas, Mexico is a real eye-catcher with bright magenta flowers and glossy green leaves. Give this tireless bloomer the moisture and shade it craves and you'll be rewarded with lush foliage and brilliant color for months. Cut back hard in spring to give it the rest it needs before fresh growth begins. Grows 3' x 3'.